The Phoenix Family Law News Blog - Find a Phoenix Family Attorney

Getting Back on Your Feet: The FindLaw Guide to Spousal Support

When a marriage ends, more often than not one spouse is left with the short end of the stick, financially speaking. For example, a wife who dedicates her time to raising children may lack a career or education to fall back on once the marriage is over. That's why we have spousal support.

In general, spousal support, aka alimony, is meant to correct the unfair economic effects of divorce. If you've gone through or are going through a divorce, you should take a look at FindLaw's free Guide to Spousal Support to get an idea of what spousal support covers and how you can obtain it.

Below, we've outlined just a few of the areas covered in the guide.

Most people are aware that spousal support is a monthly payment made by one spouse to another following divorce. However, did you know that there are a number of different types of alimony?

Most commonly, spousal support is meant to be rehabilitative, meaning its intended to get the spouse back on her feet. Once the spouse is able to support herself, the spousal support is terminated in most cases.

On the other hand, reimbursement alimony, another common form of spousal support, involves one spouse reimbursing the other for expenses incurred during the marriage. Education expenses are often the subject of reimbursement alimony. Check out the guide to determine which form of alimony best fits your circumstances.

The next question is how much support you should receive. There's no simple formula for determining this. Courts often look at each spouse's earning capacity, their standards of living, and the sacrifices they made during marriage, among many other factors. The guide offers a much more in-depth look at spousal support calculation.

Most importantly, the guide tells you how to obtain spousal support and links you to FindLaw's free online resources. Remember, if you're going through a divorce or seeking spousal support, it's in your best interest to consult with a family law attorney. Good luck!

Related Resources: