The Phoenix Family Law News Blog - Find a Phoenix Family Attorney

Paying Alimony in Arizona

Through a divorce decree, one spouse might be required to pay spousal maintenance to the other so that there can be a safety net for the ex-spouse that cannot provide for his or own financial needs. Spousal maintenance, more commonly known as alimony, is paid separately from child support but is paid in a similar manner.

According to the Maricopa County Superior Court Self Service Center, spousal maintenance payments can be ordered through a wage assignment from the paying spouse's paycheck. This process happens when the court orders the employer of the spouse to deduct the amount of money in court ordered alimony from a paycheck. The employer is then supposed to send this money to the Clerk of the Superior Court. The Clerk of the Court will then record the payment and send the money directly to the former spouse that is entitled to the payment. Self-employed or unemployed people that are ordered to pay spousal maintenance can make payments directly to the Clerk of the Court.

Like child support payments, the amount of alimony that one spouse pays to the other can be changed if there has been a substantial and continuing change of circumstances. Such circumstances can include a significant loss of income, unemployment, or other substantial changes that would significantly change a person's income. Yet the Maricopa County Superior Court states that there are certain situations where the court cannot modify a Spousal Maintenance Order, so it's a good idea to consult with a Phoenix family law attorney before going through the alimony modification process.

Related Resources: